Sunday, March 23, 2014

Easton Place Shepherd's Pie

I still have St. Patrick's Day (and all things Irish) on my mind. It could be due to the fact I love the color green, or that my name is Patti, or possibly because my heritage is largely Irish/English. Whatever the reason, I'm still in the mood to celebrate and with that I give you Easton Place Shepherd's Pie. In it's earlier days, this dish was also known as "Cottage Pie". It was basically the introduction of the potato as an "edible crop affordable for the poor" (wikipedia).  The dish came about as a way to create a meal from what was leftover from the week and consisted of veggies, beef or lamb and a mashed potato "crust". Sounds good to me!  Here is my own take on Shepherd's Pie. I include a packet of Goat Cheese in this recipe, and trust me... it makes all the difference.


Easton Place Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients:
1.5 lb. Organic / Grass-Fed Ground Beef
7 Organic Carrots (peeled and diced)
3 Cups Organic Sweet Corn (I buy WholeFoods brand in freezer section)
2 Leeks (white part only, cut & well rinsed)
4 oz. Organic Goat Cheese
7-9 Medium Organic Golden Yukon Potatoes (quartered, skin on)
1/2 cup of Organic Whole Milk or Half & Half
1 Stick Organic Salted Butter
Sprinkle of Paprika
Ground Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Meat & Veggies... In a heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes. Add leeks and diced carrots and cook on medium high heat until vegetables become semi-soft (about 12 minutes). Add in ground beef and continue on medium high heat until meat is fully cooked. Mix in 4 oz. organic goat cheese and stir until cheese is fully incorporated.

Mashed Potatoes... Boil quartered potatoes in salted water until tender to fork. Drain well. Add 6 tablespoons of salted butter, 1/2 cup whole milk or half & half if you really want to get fancy, salt & pepper to taste. Mash until creamy with lumps.

Fill individual ramekin pots, nearly to the top, with the meat & veggie mixture. Top with a hearty scoop of mashed potatoes, flatten and sprinkle a little paprika on top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the potato topper is slightly crisp.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. These would be awesome to freezer and have them ready for quick meals as well!!! Love the recipe - so simple yet with the goat cheese it takes it up a notch! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT idea! When I made these last week, I made extra, but they were gone before the next day. LOL Guess I'll have to make "extra, extra".

      Delete
  2. Oh, boy, lady! These little pies look amazing! I will gladly continue celebrating St Patrick's Day with you if we can eat these yummy Shepards Pies!

    ReplyDelete